Forms | License Lookup | PE/PLS Renewals | Continuing Education | Enforcement | Businesses | Contact






Late 2018 Firm Renewal, Click on Link - >> "Business Firm Renewal" <<

All Firm licenses expired as of June 30, 2018. All firms are now required to pay a renewal fee of $175.00, which includes a reinstatement fee of $100.00. To renew the firms license, click the link above and follow the online renewal directions.

After the online renewal is submitted and a payment method is chosen, the firm must send an email to, notifying the Board that it has submitted a late online renewal. Failure to send the email may result in further delays for the firm to be renewed.


The North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors administers the provisions of the Engineering and Land Surveying Act, Chapter 89C, and certain provisions of the Professional Corporation Act, Chapter 55B, of the North Carolina General Statutes.  Firm licensure is required in addition to the individual professional’s license.

Firm licensure is a 3-step process.  All entities must apply to the Board first prior to filing anything with the NC Secretary of State.  Subsequent to an application being processed by the Board staff, a certificate will be issued and sent to the firm, which is to be used in conjunction with filing the appropriate paperwork with the NC Secretary of State.  Once the Secretary of State paperwork is filed and returned to the firm, a copy of that recorded paperwork must be forwarded to the Board at which time a Firm License will be issued to the firm allowing them to practice in the State.  The documents issued by the NC Secretary of State do not authorize the firm to practice or offer to practice any professional services.

The Professional Corporation Act of North Carolina (N.C.G.S. 55B & 57D), requires all Corporations or Limited Liability Company’s [Domestic or Foreign (out-of-state)] Incorporated/Organized after June 5, 1969, to qualify in North Carolina as Professional Corporations or Professional Limited Liability Company’s. Qualifying as a Foreign Professional Corporation or Foreign Professional Limited Liability Company does not change the way the firm is incorporated/organized in their state.  To qualify, the corporation or limited liability company must meet the requirements of N.C.G.S. 55B, which requires the firm to be at least 2/3 owned by the Licensees (in the profession(s) authorized/or will be authorized in North Carolina). There must be at least one North Carolina Licensee for each profession that will be authorized who is an Officer, Director (Board of Directors) and Shareholder (corporations) or a Member and Manager (Limited Liability Company). Up to 1/3 of the firm may be owned by non-licensed employees (must be employees). No other company may be an owner of the firm. All owners of the firm must be individual persons.

ESOPS are permitted if ALL Trustees are licensees and at least one of the Trustees is licensed in North Carolina.  If this requirement cannot be met, please contact the Director of Business Licensure at

At least one licensee (in each profession authorized or that will be authorized {engineering/land surveying) must be a NC licensee and an Officer, Director (Board of Directors) and Shareholder of the corporation or a Member and Manager of the Limited Liability Company.

To determine which application the firm must use to apply for licensure, review the following Business Firm Chart and Application Information.  Click the appropriate link and follow the directions for completing the application.

Business Firms currently licensed with the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers & Surveyors that need to update their Business Firm Record may print and complete the appropriate change form below and then mail or email ( it to the attention of the Director of Business Licensure & Compliance with the required fee (if applicable).

Note: No Firm may change its name or the services being offered without first requesting approval from the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers & Surveyors.  For information on how to request these changes, please e-mail or call the Director of Business Licensure & Compliance.

If you have additional questions, please contact Director of Business Licensure & Compliance Mark Mazanek at (919) 791-2000 x 102 or by e-mail

Change Forms:

Professional Corporation Change Form (Firm numbers "C-XXXX")
Business Firm Change Form (Firm numbers - "F-XXXX")
PLLC Change Form (Firm numbers - "P-XXXX")
Chapter 87 Corporation Change Form (Firm numbers - "D-XXXX")



Photos at top courtesy of NC Division of Tourism, Film & Sports Development